Giveaway: The Magician's Book by Laura Miller
Full Description (taken from here):
THE MAGICIAN'S BOOK is the story of one reader's long, tumultuous relationship with C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia. Enchanted by its fantastic world as a child, prominent critic Laura Miller returns to the series as an adult to uncover the source of these small books' mysterious power by looking at their creator, Clive Staples Lewis. What she discovers is not the familiar, idealized image of the author, but a more interesting and ambiguous truth: Lewis's tragic and troubled childhood, his unconventional love life, and his intense but ultimately doomed friendship with J.R.R. Tolkien.
Finally reclaiming Narnia "for the rest of us," Miller casts the Chronicles as a profoundly literary creation, and the portal to a life-long adventure in books, art, and the imagination.
The Magician's Book by Laura Miller
Little, Brown & Company
Visit the website.
Join the Facebook group.
Follow on Twitter.
Reading Group Guide
1. Laura Miller was introduced to the Chronicles of Narnia by her teacher and was immediately swept into their magical world. Describe your own discovery and reaction to them.
2. When Miller writes about her most powerful reading experiences while growing up, she cites Island of the Blue Dolphins, Five Children and It, and the Little House on the Prairie series. Name some of the formative books of your childhood and discuss why they were important to you. What about them has stayed with you into adulthood?
3. In the excerpt that opens The Magician’s Book, Lucy encounters the best story she has ever read. Afterward, she is unable to remember what happened in the story or to reread it. Have you ever lost yourself in a story as Lucy did? What were you reading? How old were you? Discuss why you think you were able to forget yourself so completely. How do our daily lives affect the way we read? What does this say about the role readers play in the creation of a story’s meaning?
4. Neil Gaiman and Jonathan Franzen note the importance of C. S. Lewis’s books in their own lives and work. Discuss the similarities and differences between their books and the Chronicles of Narnia. Have you noticed Lewis’s influence on other writers? If so, which writers? And why does their work remind you of the Pevensie children’s adventures?
5. Does Miller’s description of C. S. Lewis’s life and personality alter your view of his novels? In what ways? Have your opinions of other books changed after discovering personal details about the author? Why does biographical information affect our interpretation?
6. Laura Miller writes that she will not address the religious symbolism in the Chronicles, focusing instead on the stories and their creator. Do you agree with her decision? Are there other aspects of the books you would have liked Miller to address?
7. When Miller discovered Narnia’s Christian messages, her feeling of betrayal drove her away. Eventually, she returned and reexamined the books as an adult. Why was she upset by her new understanding? Discuss the role that the passage from innocence to understanding played in her reaction. Is one experience more valid than another?
8. Part memoir, part biography, and part literary criticism, The Magician’s Book touches on the many factors that shaped the author’s relationship with the novels. Discuss the extent to which each reader’s knowledge informs and shapes his or her interpretations of stories.
9. At its core, The Magician’s Book is the story of Laura Miller’s attempt to regain her childhood enchantment with the Chronicles. Have you reread the Chronicles of Narnia as an adult? If so, how has your enjoyment or understanding of them changed? Do you think it is possible to regain the childhood experience of reading? Why?
Five of my readers will receive a copy of this book
Open to residents of the US and Canada
No P.O. Boxes
The books will be mailed out by the publisher
GIVEAWAY ENTRIES HAVE CHANGED!
LEAVE A SEPARATE COMMENT FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL ENTRY.
(EXAMPLE: if it says +5, leave 5 separate entries)
Leave all entries in one comment or separate comments:
+1 for commenting
+1 for following this blog
+1 for following me on twitter
+5 for sharing this contest -make sure you leave the link in your comments (on your blog, -sidebar counts, Myspace, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) THIS CAN BE DONE ONCE A DAY
+1 for following my other blog freebies4meandu.
+1 for faving me on Technorati (right sidebar)
+1 for friending me on Myspace here.
+1 for friending me on Facebook here.
+1 for connecting with me via Networked Blogs (right sidebar)
+1 for grabbing my button and placing it on your sidebar - leave link or your this entry does not count.
+2 for every meaningful comment you leave on any of my posts - excluding giveaway posts - make sure you come back and leave a comment on the giveaway post you would like to add your entries to
+2 for clicking on my Social Vibe icon (left sidebar) and filling out the information These entries can be used in any of my giveaways (both blogs). Email me or leave a comment somewhere on my blog letting me know how you want to use your entries.
+2 for following my girl Krista's blog
+2 for following Krista on Twitter
+2 for sending Krista a Facebook friend request
+20 Make a purchase using the icon below, email me the receipt at bjhopper(at)me(dot)com and receive 100 extra entries (per item) into the giveaway of your choice. This goes for both of my blogs.
+20 entries for each item purchased from my Amazon aStore (at the top of my blog). You can use those entries in any of my giveaways (both blogs). All you need to do is email me at bjhopper(at)me(dot)com your receipt and let me know how you want to use your entries.
*Current friends/followers receive the extra points as well - just make sure you remind me in the comments*
**Must leave an email address in comment or must be visible in blogger profile**
Winners will be chosen Jan. 14th and notified via email. The winners will have 48 hours to send me their mailing info or another winner will be chosen.
Disclosure: I received a copy of this book so that I could write an honest review.